Foam Board Insulation: What It Is and How It Works
Foam board insulation is a type of insulation that is made up of rigid sheets of plastic foam. The foam is typically made from polyurethane, polystyrene, or extruded polystyrene. Foam board insulation is typically used in walls, attics, and floors.
Foam board insulation works by trapping air. Air is a good insulator, so it helps to keep heat in during the winter and cool air in during the summer. Foam board insulation is also effective at reducing noise levels.
Types of Foam Board Insulation
There are three main types of foam board insulation:
- Polystyrene foam board: Polystyrene foam board is made from expanded polystyrene (EPS). EPS is a lightweight and inexpensive type of foam.
- Polyurethane foam board: Polyurethane foam board is made from a mixture of polyurethane and isocyanate. This type of foam is more expensive than EPS, but it is also more effective at insulating.
- Extruded polystyrene foam board: Extruded polystyrene foam board is made from a continuous process that extrudes the foam. This type of foam is more expensive than EPS and polyurethane foam board, but it is also more durable.
Advantages of Foam Board Insulation
Foam board insulation has several advantages over other types of insulation, including:
- It is a good insulator.
- It is available in a variety of thicknesses and R-values.
- It is easy to install.
- It is moisture resistant.
- It is fire resistant.
Disadvantages of Foam Board Insulation
Foam board insulation also has some disadvantages, including:
- It can be expensive.
- It can be difficult to cut and work with.
- It can be a fire hazard if it is not installed properly.
Comparison of Foam Board Insulation to Other Types of Insulation
Foam board insulation is a good choice for home insulation, but it is not the only type of insulation available. Other types of insulation include:
- Batt insulation: Batt insulation is made up of long, narrow strips of material that are held together by a facing. It is typically installed between the studs in walls or ceiling.
- Blow-in insulation: Blow-in insulation is a type of insulation that is installed by blowing loose-fill material into the spaces between the walls, attic, or ceiling.
- Spray foam insulation: Spray foam insulation is a type of insulation that is applied as a liquid and then expands to fill the space. It is a very effective insulator, but it is also more expensive than foam board insulation.
The best type of insulation for your home will depend on your specific needs and budget. If you are looking for an inexpensive and easy-to-install type of insulation, foam board insulation is a good option. If you are looking for a more effective insulator, spray foam insulation may be a better choice.
Choosing the Right Foam Board Insulation
When choosing foam board insulation, there are a few things you need to consider, including:
- The type of foam board: Polystyrene foam board, polyurethane foam board, or extruded polystyrene foam board.
- The thickness of the insulation: The thickness of the insulation will determine its R-value, which is a measure of its insulating ability.
- The cost: The cost of the insulation will vary depending on the type and thickness.
Once you have considered these factors, you can choose the right foam board insulation for your home.
Installing Foam Board Insulation
Foam board insulation can be installed by our team of professionals. The installation process is relatively simple and can be done without disturbing the existing structure of your home.
Foam board insulation is a good choice for home insulation. It is relatively inexpensive, easy to install, and available in a variety of thicknesses and R-values.
When choosing foam board insulation, it is important to consider the type of foam board, the thickness of the insulation, and the cost.
Contact Eco Three today for a free consultation and to learn more